Here's a fun DIY projects I shared over on Mom Advice while I was a guest contributor. These would make great projects for older elementary and middle school aged children, and great teacher gifts!
Our summer holidays are in full swing. We haven’t any big trips planned, but a few little adventures here and there, along with days filled with a good balance of relaxation and local outings. One of our weekly summer activities includes a trip to the library. During the summer, it’s so important to keep those little brains stimulated. Also, my oldest is in a French Immersion school and the library is a great resource for her to brush up on her reading and language, en francais.
A good book bag is essential, especially when my girls seem to collect a giant stack of books each visit. I designed some awesome library totes for each of us to take along using a set of canvas tote bags from Michaels (bought with a coupon, of course), and I’ve prepared a set of printables for all of you to print and iron on your own canvas tote bags! These make for such a great gift for the book lovers in your life – there’s a grown-up quote, a floral heart and an adorable gal or guy fox to choose from.
Canvas tote bag
Ink jet iron on transfer for light fabric
Free printable tote bag designs
Hard surface for ironing
- Download the free printable book tote designs (links to individual designs below).
- Following the instructions on your ink jet iron on transfer pack, print your desired design.
- Trim the design around it’s edges. For the quote, trim each phrase separately.
- Diligently iron your canvas totes before applying the transfer to make for the smoothest surface.
- Place your transfer in its place and iron. Follow the instructions on your transfer pack as each varies. I ironed my transfer repeatedly over the course of 2 minutes.
- Let your transfers cool completely before removing the backing.
- Off to the library you go!
Embellish your totes by adding ribbon ties on the handles or sewing ribbon to the handle. Have your child add their own personal touch by painting or drawing on the back of their totes using fabric paint or markers. Roll up your tote and tie with a ribbon and tag and gift to the book lover in your life!
download the free printable tote bag designs.