+ I've also written a similar tutorial to create your own heart string art HERE.
Follow the steps below to create your own apple string art.
8 x 8 wood square, stained, or left natural
small nails with heads
red and green embroidery thread or twine
free printable apple template
free printable gift tag bookmark
- Begin your project by printing this free printable apple template. The apple template is conveniently marked for the positioning of your nails.
- Place your apple template on your wood surface. You can tape the template down for security. On a solid surface, hammer the top and bottom nails in to keep your template from shifting. Hammer each nail into the wood, about halfway, leaving enough space for you to wrap your thread.
- Hammer all of your nails along the apple's border. Remove paper template.
- Tie a knot of your red thread at the bottom nail head on your apple. Begin to randomly strand your tread to the nail heads, looping the thread around once. It’s important to keep tension on your thread the entire time to avoid the thread slipping or unraveling from your nails.
- Once you have your thread stranded over the entire apple, try to loop the end of your design at the same beginning point. Tie a knot to secure. Trim thread.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 with green thread to complete your apple leaves.
- Have your child sign and date the back of the wood with sharpie marker.
- Download and print the free printable gift tag bookmark using the link below, and attach to your gift, bag, box or project.